19 June 2007

Interview

1.When did your career began?

I learnt sewing when I was 19. During that age, there was no ready-made blouse selling in the market. So I had quite a good business in custom-making blouse. As time past, there were boutiques and hypermarkets selling ready-made blouse which had affected my business. So I end up making knot button and frog fastener.

2. Who did you learnt this from?

My mother.

3.Why did you pick up this profession? Is it your interest, or a way to earn a living?

During our age, there was no interest concern. Ladies must learn how to sew. I have to design various patterns or motives to meet customers’ demand.

4. How did you profit from your profession?

Back in the old days, a blouse with a knot and frog fastener would cost only RM2.20. Few years later, when I stopped making blouse, a knot and a frog fastener cost RM1.80 itself even without the blouse.

5. How do you know what color to use when you are working on the button and loop?

For most of the time, it was usually matched with the color of the blouse, other than that, my experience and fashion sense will influence the decision too.

6. Are your design original? Or you use references?

Initially, I started off following certain standard patterns. After that, I started to sketch my own desired pattern on paper, and then used a cord to form that pattern.

7. Have you ever thought of inheriting this skill to the newer generations?

Modern techniques had replaced craftsmanship. Factories could come out with a blouse within an hour whereas I had to spend 3 days to make one. I would very much like to inherit this skill to the newer generation, but I am afraid no one would like to pick up this skill.

8. Is it hard to pick up sewing skill?

It may be seem easy but is actually quite tough. A passion for it, plus some artistic flair helps a lot. Practice often.

9. Do you have any other interest and hobbies besides sewing button and loops?

Knitting is another interest of mine.

10. What is your comment about this profession?

This is my lifetime career. Sadly it has been replaced by modern technologies. It would be great if you could help me propagate and glorify this craftsmanship.

No comments: